I made my first open source contribution today and I’m pretty stoked. The change itself is almost inconsequential (https://github.com/getnikola/nikola/pull/245) but there have been a series of events that have helped me get here, including:
- rediscovering my love for writing code (thanks Preet Kukreti)
- deciding to publish my code after reading Fredrik Haard’s Dare to show your code
- learning git (and the GitHub workflow)
- Hynek Schlawack’s My Road to the Python Commit Bit
- Jesse Noller’s Why aren’t you contributing (To Python)
- The last python bug day and while I didn’t make any changes, I looked for tasks and got everything setup and got in that “I really want to do this” headspace
Sometimes it’s hard to see how a sequence of little steps set you up for what’s ahead. Here’s to another little step, and to what’s ahead.